Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me"
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me"
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke was by far the 2013 song of the summer. After listening to the song over and over again as it came on the radio and on own iPod I finally began to listen to the lyrics, evaluate and understand what the catchy tune was really saying. As I listened and analyzed the song I noticed it portrayed women in a derogatory manner.
The quote written at the beginning of the of the blog post was the part of the song that especially angered me. As I listened, read and reread it, I noticed it was portraying women as "sex objects" saying they were, "good girls" and that they "want it." In other words the quote was saying that women were desperate and needed to get it in order to be happy. As a young women myself, I felt rage because we as people have come so far in achieving sexual equality yet to see that in 2013 this song was like a blast from the past.
As I further analyzed the song and watched the music video, I was once again stunned that the women were practically naked, in skin tight and skin colored bikinis. As I researched why, Robin Thicke and the videos producers had the girls so exposed was to gain views, which are equal to "popularity points." i was even more shocked that there was a X-rated version of the video in which the girls were naked. This once again proves my point of that the girls were just used for their body and sex appeal.
Although I thought our nation had overcome sexual inequality, I and those who read this blog post may be stunned at how little we have actually accomplished. After finding this out, I have deleted "Blurred Lines" from my iPod but the damage is already done, they have earned $1.29 from me. This really shows me and I'm sure others around me to open our ears and eyes and really notice, what our music and the other things around us are saying.
-Aleyna Ndaw :)
No comments:
Post a Comment