Thursday, October 17, 2013

Banned Books Response!


        Ellen Hopkin's article, "Banned Book Week 2010: An Anti-Censorship Manifesto" talks about how, although her books involve saucy topics, she has the best interests for her readers. An example of how her books have affected her readers was when a young girl approached her after a book signing. She shared her own story and said "She saw herself in those pages, and suddenly knew she didn't want to be there. That book turned her around. Today she's been sober two years, is graduating high school and has embarked on a modeling career." This shows just some of the influence Ellen Hopkin's young adult literature has had on teens. 

        Another way that Ellen showed that her books were meaningful and life changing was through her artistic choices. Ellen opened the article with a personal story which hooked on the reader and served as a point to which I could connect. She also added many loaded words, which expressed her emotions and showed her views on the banning of her books. Her artistic choices in adding the part of "Manifesto" showed her opinions on the topic and was a way of rebelling, to provide and example of what she does best.

        I really enjoyed reading Hopkin's article, because it was intriguing and believable. I agree, being that I have read a couple of her books, that although some of the things in her books might be seen as racy they are educational and I have learned a lot from her. I feel very strongly about keeping Ellen Hopkin's books in libraries because it has changed me as a person and it has affected others in the best of ways. Like Ellen said in her article, "Ignorance is no armor." and I completely agree with that statement. You can't live a completely sheltered life, and must acknowledge reality and I think reading a piece of Ellen Hopkin's young adult literature is a great way to face the truth.

3 comments:

  1. I liked your last sentence because I felt that it was there where you really connected your belief to Ellen Hopkins. Doing that made the post a lot stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your last paragraph because it was not only a good wrap-up, but it also showed the your belief(s) on this article.

    ReplyDelete