"It's a good start to write documents and stuff, but it's time to stop theorising and start doing work to end this." -I. What the unknown 13 year old I is saying is that, although we can be aware of the issues around us we need to fix them. After looking through the books that I read and the world around me, I have come up with a couple of large issues with small solutions.
After looking at how men and women are shown differently in books and the world I have come up with ideas to help create a world with more equality. In "Children at War" women are usually behind the battle field and serve as nurses or chefs. Men are usually soldiers, fighting rebels in hand to hand combat or with guns. Even now, as our own accomplishment, women serve in our military on the battlefield. This has been an issue of who is superior, showing that men are powerful and more dominant to women because they are stronger. This has been an ongoing issue from when labor unions protest for equal pay to equal rights. A simple solution to that, that was not shown in the books that I read was to make the idea of women having different powers more common. Also in the news, men in Saudi Arabia don't want women to know how to drive. Although America has been pushing for this right for a long time it is a new topic to many places, such as Pakistan, where Malala Yousafzai was shot for supporting women rights. By including these "new" ideas in our books that are read on a global scale, perhaps people will become more familiar and open to the concept.
This is just one example of how we can stop thinking of our ideas and instead, take actions. If picture books starting from a young age show women and men as equals the generations to come will know of equality and not be shocked by indifference. With this mindset and need for change, we can, "end this."
-Aleyna Ndaw
I really enjoyed your blogpost! I loved how even though it was short with only 3 paragraphs, you packed an immense amount of evidence and support into it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julia!
ReplyDelete