A "Native Son" Inspired Piece
Yay! I have made it to the 8th grade! I created this blog in 7th grade and since we will be blogging again this year, I decided to keep it. My first blog post in the 8th grade will be a creative piece of writing inspired by "Native Son" by Richard Wright. I read this book over the summer and am OBSESSED with it! To give you (the reader of my blog) a summary here it is (SPOILER ALERT!!!): Bigger Thomas an African-American young man from a rough background in a black community. He goes out in the real world a gets a job in the 1930's and ends up killing his boss's daughter by accident. He tries to hide the evidence but ends up in a lot of trouble because he's black and killed a white person (a woman to add on). This point in History also wasn't good for Aftican Americans.Enjoy!
We left in the middle of the night so we were not to be seen. “Renae! pack up and tell your brother. There was a fire the week before where daddy worked at. They told us it was an accident but we all knew what that fire was all about. So now me, momma, daddy and Tommy are leaving on a bus going to where daddy calls “a better life” but i’ve heard that before.
We packed our bags with what little we had to eat, drink and wear but nights are cold and helpful hands are hard to find. A nice lady gave us a bite as we passed by her home, a simple one and I wished we lived in it. We finally made it, and it is just what I had thought. Detroit, a bustling city with whites and blacks walking amongst each other, still keeping distance but nothing like Arkansas. Daddy's going to find work at the factory tomorrow and Tommy’s gonna tag along to see where he can help. Momma’s working for a white woman named Margaret-Ann but i’m going to the local school. We’re living with 2 other families in a stuffy second floor apartment till we find our own place.
I heard a pretty, young white girl, probably my age talking about her side of town. Dem large homes with big parties and so much more but here we are...still waiting. I guess that's a while a way. Momma always tells me to get my mind off of that cause she knows it ain't never gonna happen, but a girl can dream. Maybe one day my hard work and prayers might pay off...Maybe.
Thanks for reading. I hope you liked it. I researched this time period (1930's) and looked at the Great Migration to add relevant historical details. I also used writing tools of Richard Wright such as grammar and spelling to give it a realistic touch. I tried to get in the character and hope I did a good job. Comment below (feedback is always great) and stay posted for more posts. (No pun intended.)
:)
-Aleyna Ndaw
No comments:
Post a Comment