Sunday, December 16, 2012

Memoir


Memoir:

The smell of the popcorn, the shriek of the people coming off rides. I was at Camel Beach in Tannersville, Pennsylvania for a family vacation. “Let’s go to that ride, Oh my god! Look at that! Let’s go!” I was so excited and mesmerized by the gallons of water rushing down slides and the faces of people coming off the slides. “Let’s go do the disco ball first, and then the midnight run, then the hydro-serpent and then we’ll take a break and do everything else!” I and my sister said after studying the map. I walked quickly on the hot pavement racing into line. “Not bad” my parents said as they examined the line.

The disco ball wasn’t just any ride. It had neon lights flashing, disco music in the “toilet bowl” part of it and a 40 foot drop! We plopped on to the raft as the family before us let out a scream before plummeting. The lifeguard gave us a slight push, just as the go light turned green.

“AHHHHHH” my mom and dad let out a scream of terror and joy however it was quite funny to see their faces. We splashed up the sides of the bowl until we slowly came to a halt Then, Lights flashed music boomed (K.C and the Sunshine Band) which of course my parents only knew since they were part of the disco era!

I had never seen my parents have so much fun or scream like this. We had been on family trips before but this one was different. My parents were almost kids again. We finally reached our final plummet and stepped off the four person raft. “Where are we going next?” my dad asked with a big smile as we headed off.

-aleyna

1 comment:

  1. I really like your memoir because unlike a lot of peoples memoirs, yours is about true joy. I felt like you were trying to tell a much deeper story, not just that your family went on a roller coaster. Great job!

    ReplyDelete